Receive Our Blog Updates By Email

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

God's Promises; God's Work

"I lift my eyes up, to the mountains, where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, Maker of heaven, creator of the earth!" Ps. 121:1-2
"He will not let your foot slip--he who watches over you will not slumber." Ps. 121:3
"Our help is in the name of the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth." Ps. 124.8

I love the Psalms. I find myself reading them over and over again, realizing these sorts of promises again and again. Which causes me to wonder, if I read them so often, and if they bring me comfort and strength, why do I still struggle with worry and lack of joy? Why do I still grumble at circumstances, and fret over unknowns or seemingly huge tasks?

I feel like a true Israelite today. Or maybe the disciple, Peter.

Praise God for His mercies are new every morning, and no matter how many times I lose sight of His promises, or am unfaithful in doing His work, HE is faithful, and pours out love and grace and mercy, calling us back again and again. We have been reading through the Gospel of John, and this morning, John 6. Jesus reminds the disciples in two spots here that it is the Father's work! Salvation only comes through the Father, and nobody can come to the Father without first the Father drawing him. And then later in the chapter Jesus reminds them, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him." These are humbling words! Truly, we are His disciples purely on the basis of the Father's work. It really has nothing to do with us and what we could ever do, except for the fact that He first loved us and sent His Son for us.

0 comments: