Receive Our Blog Updates By Email

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Nous apprendre le francais, s'il vous plait

Neither Rob or I took French very seriously when both of our mothers attempted to teach us when we were being homeschooled. Now we wish we'd had!

The French lessons are unofficially starting in our house now. My mom let us borrow the French course she used on me in Grade 8 or 9 (I think), and friends of ours from church also let us borrow the Rosetta Stone French computer course. They both look terrific and we are actually enjoying these preliminary lessons in language.

Faith watched half a dozen episodes of Caillou in French this morning. I asked her what they were about and she said, "I don't know!" However, she kept asking me to put more on. I'm thinking it was simply an excuse to watch more television. It's funny to hear her and Wesley try and mimick French words they are hearing us listen to. Come to think of it, it's probably even funnier listening to Rob and me try to say them!

 

4 comments:

Ryan November 19, 2010 at 12:34 PM  

"nous apprenons"... :) Have fun learning together. I think it would be cool to do it as a family.

-- Courtney

PS. Hope you're feeling well these days, Karina

Greg and Julie Dole November 20, 2010 at 5:41 PM  

Good for you guys.

I don't want to even think about learning a new language yet.

Amanda November 23, 2010 at 5:46 AM  

I've heard excellent things about the Rosetta Stone program. Good luck and happy learning!

Josh and Jocelyn R. Plett November 29, 2010 at 9:50 PM  

talking gibberish is actually the first step for little kids learning a language, funnily enough. Both the girls next door and Judah both went through that stage of thinking themselves talking fluent french when actually they were just babbling with a french rhythm. Good for you getting a jump start on your language acquisition though, do you reckon that'll shorten your language learning in Quebec so you can get here faster? :-D