Receive Our Blog Updates By Email

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Box Day

Fellow "Sonlighters" will be familiar with this term Box Day. It's the day the new homeschool curriculum arrives for the upcoming year! (Or in our case--years!)
We experienced Box Day this week, and it really was like Christmas morning. It was incredible to see Faith and Wesley, and even Joyanne, get excited over all of their new books. I think my mom was equally thrilled to be a part of unpacking this beginning into our homeschool venture. During my parents' visit to meet Calvin, my mom worked hard at separating the curriculum. Some to send on to Madagascar right away, and some to take to Quebec City.


As well as organizing school work for the upcoming 2.5 years, we are also mentally adding up things to get rid of, things to give away, and things we need to buy. At present, it hasn't been very physically demanding, good thing--as I've been recovering from Calvin's birth. However, it has been taking up a lot of mind space lately. One thing is certain, as we've been kind of going through things we are letting go of, and thinking of what we really need to take, to us the value of what we own has been decreasing. We actually don't need that much, and what we have here in Canada is nice and convenient, but not really necessary. I am learning some lessons on where I've been storing my treasure, and I've been sadly surprised at times, and challenged at others.

4 comments:

Josh and Jocelyn R. Plett May 30, 2011 at 8:26 PM  

horray for box day! i havent had the thrill myself, but we're the happy recipients of the box/action packer of a friend who loans us her books because Judah is right in between the ages of her children. we'll be doing English grade 1 Sonlight lessons next year at home after school. woot!

And, all the best as you let go of your things and process through all that comes with that. You really dont need a lot of stuff here, surprisingly.

Anonymous June 16, 2011 at 1:54 PM  

What a treat it was to go through two years worth of curriculum and seaparate what was needed for Quebec, and what would be sent on to Madagascar. Thank you Karina for allowing me to share this!

Evelynn June 16, 2011 at 1:55 PM  

Oops, I'm not anonymous!

Rob and Karina Barber June 16, 2011 at 9:10 PM  

That's ok Mom :) I knew it was you! I was glad to share that morning with you. I knew you'd be thrilled. I'm looking forward to many Skype calls about our homeschool endeavors. It's kind of neat that you are still homeschooling as I start!