Receive Our Blog Updates By Email

Friday, November 16, 2012

Is There A Doctor In the House?

So we are feeling very thankful today! Rob and I went to bed on Wednesday evening, feeling completely fine  and fell asleep until 1:00 am when I awoke to Rob complaining of back pain on his lower right side. This quickly escalated into episodes of severe vomiting and him writhing in pain like I had never witnessed before.  An hour into this excitement he was begging me to phone a doctor. It was 2:00 am now and, not having any medical numbers on hand, I had to call my neighbor. At this point I was definitely hoping it was nothing too serious, yet hoping it was actually something worthy of waking our friends and calling in medical professionals! We got the number for a local medical assistance line and within an hour a doctor was in our bedroom giving Rob intravenous pain medication. The children slept soundly.... once the doctor had examined him and heard Rob's symptoms he determined it was likely a kidney stone. Once the pain had settled a bit, he took Rob to town to have an ultrasound at 4:00 am. I tried to get a couple more hours of rest, knowing the children would be up and ready to go in 2 short hours. At 6:00 Rob returned with the doctor. And he wanted to take him back to the imaging clinic at noon for a second ultrasound, just to confirm the kidneys looked normal and everything was clear. He took a blood sample and let Rob drink tons of water and a special tea all morning. A couple of hours later, Rob was back to normal and we were able to continue on with our busy day!

We are just so thankful for his restored health, and also for the knowledge that medical help is available if we require it. Our mothers can rest knowing this too, now. :)

Please continue to pray for health and safety, as much of it is out of our control. So often we take our good health for granted, and this week we were reminded that everything continues to be in God's hands!

Friday, November 9, 2012

Crunch Time

The pressure is on right now! Not only is there an extremely high-demand for flights in our new Cessna-182, but our AMO License is about to expire on November 10th. In order to maintain aircraft registered in Madagascar we have to maintain an AMO (Aircraft Maintenance Organization) and along with it all the paperwork required by the local aviation authority here. Rob has been working long hours going through piles of paperwork for ACM (Aviation Civil de Madagascar) to make sure that we can continue to maintain and operate aircraft. ACM was recently audited by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and because of that audit has completely updated all of their rules so that they could maintain ICAO compliance. What this means is that Rob has had to re-write all our manuals (4 manuals) to align with these new rules. Rob's workload has been very high because he has had to re-write the manuals and also maintain the aircraft which are under very high demand which means they need a lot of maintenance. Even though maintenance engineers are typically responsible for lots of paperwork and desk time, Rob says this is a bit extreme due to the special circumstances, but knows that in the long run it will be a good thing for Madagascar because the new system now aligns to internationally recognized standards.

At best ACM will renew our license to maintain aircraft right away. Second best, they could give us an extension on our current license. At worst, our license expires and Rob and Michel can no longer fix any problems on the aircraft or do any routine checks either. The pilots may continue to fly, but if something breaks, the program is on hold until the license is renewed.

Please pray for these circumstances. Pray for peace as Rob feels anxious about all of the submitted paperwork and is ready to see this very large task finished. Please pray for the pilots who are also working on the operations side of the paperwork and have a lot to do, as well as flying. We don't want to see things paused---however God knows the bigger picture and He knows what's best for our program and the timing of everything. We trust in Him.

Until Next Time....